Updated: Aug 11, 2021
If you have been following along with us here at Rainbow Sky for a while, you would know how much we LOVE creating hands-on learning experiences for kids! Because learning is supposed to be fun!!
Here are our top 5 games that would be perfect to prep and use all year round to strengthen your student's number sense and build fluency (Note: all resources are linked to the images).
1. Doubling and halving games to build confidence and proficiency. We love these games because they can be played individually or in pairs.
2. Consolidate times table facts and recall by creating a Maths version of Guess Who. Note: This is the Kmart version called 'Who is it'.
3. Rounding fluency using playing cards (actually, anything using playing cards we love and so do our students!) Looking for more help teaching rounding, find it here.
4. Multiplication flip it games. Kids LOVE playing this game and it is so good for fluency. Grab a free copy here.
5. Any game to work on Friends to Ten Fluency like these pictured. Over the years, we have found this is a concept that needs to be revisited by many grades, not just younger students.
Although games and using concrete materials is fun and so good for our students' growth and development in Maths, sometimes handling it all can be a little on the stressful side. So, we wanted to give you a few tips to help with this before we go.
We find that when introducing new manipulatives, allowing students the opportunity to play and explore first is really successful. Provide an outlet for their creative juices, so the novelty of a new thing can wear off allowing you to get into the nitty-gritty teaching.
Ways to do this: * Have them available before school starts * Set up an early finishers station * Incorporate into free time * Allocate the first half of your lesson to exploration
It doesn’t matter if you are teaching Kindergarten or Grade 6, games are such a good way to engage your students, especially in Mathematics.
Want to save these ideas for later? Pin the image below.
WANT TO KNOW THE REAL SECRET TO DELIVERING FUN & DIFFERENTIATED MATHS LESSONS IN JUST ONE WEEK?
Imagine running a maths group program that is uncomplicated, easy to implement and stress free...
Learn how to Transform your lessons with maths groups so that you meet the learning needs of every student.
Run successful maths lessons that are engaging & outcomes-based.
Discover a streamlined 6-step system for targeted lessons.
Make maths a time of day you and your students love.